Friday, September 3, 2010

Las Dos Preguntas, The Two Questions (Part 1)

This is best written in English for now till I make my way and figure out saying this in Spanish in the best way. (Then I'll translate it)

The first question: How much of myself do I let go? This is the crossroads that the exchange is all about. It's that moment when you greet someone you never met or a teacher in the hall and there is that moment of hesitation. That moment when you stop and think what to do and how to act. It passes quickly but stands there like a mountain. This is small compared to embracing other mannerisms like the next example. Am I Chilean and openly embracing it? Do I move first and give a kiss on the cheek? Or am I an teenager from the EEUU still stuck in old ways, still working, smiling akwardly and passing by? Sometimes, I'm EEUU, othertimes, I'm a part of the culture. Now, more often that not, but still not completely 100%. Another example is the closeness and sharing. Chileans share everything, from food, drink, lipgloss, you name it. But being brought up in the United States with a good education, I think of germs and their spread, instead of the caring and the friendship this demonstrates. This is the best example of how much to give. I feel like I'm going to forget what it is to work and do chores when I have such a wonderful, caring family and a nana that does them because she is paid to do that. I don't want to become lazy. While I always say thank you and I gave her a gift as well, to compensate for this, I think I'm going to work on other disiplines, like a simple, short ab or plyometric workout that I can do every couple days.

It's a balance I'm working on, and this is what the exchange is about. I'm learning.

The most incredible part of it all, is that one year ago, I still hadn't thought I would be where I am today. If someone had told me 365 days prior to today, Í'd say, "Ha, That's awesome, and I'd love to do it, but it's not me." I am so excited that it could be me and that I'm here, in Chile today.

The world is moving fast, so here is the second question: Ïs the world giving you a run for your money or are gyou giving the world a run for its money? (Remember, "The world was here first. It owes you nothing."-Mark Twain)

But all in all, it's just simply amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment